Family Law Mediation Attorney in Spokane, WA
Guiding Clients through Difficult Situations
The vast majority of disputes are resolved through mediation, thereby avoiding stressful, costly, and time-consuming litigation. As an experienced Family Law mediation attorney in Spokane, I have well over 18 years of experience helping families empower themselves by using the mediation process to resolve their disputes rather than relinquishing their power to the courts at trial. I am here to guide you through your divorce and address various issues, including custody, child support, alimony, and property division.
Call (509) 402-2248 or contact Ellen M. Hendrick PLLC online for a consultation with our Spokane mediation attorney.
What Can I Expect at a Divorce Mediation?
While a small percentage of disputes cannot be resolved via mediation, opting for mediation over trial affords both parties many benefits and opportunities not available through court action. So is divorce mediation a good idea?
Unlike trial, mediation is often more:
- Realistic - Mediation with an Spokane family law mediation attorney will allow the parties to determine the soundness of their respective positions and likelihood for success or failure if their case proceeds to trial.
- Safe - Unlike litigation, mediation is not an adversarial process. An effective divorce mediator will ensure the balance of power between the parties is maintained and that all communication is respectful and non-blaming. Both parties are afforded the opportunity to state their positions and offer proposals without facing interruption, threats, or scorn.
- Affordable - In my experience as Spokane mediation lawyer, most Family Law-related disputes are resolved within three two-hour mediation sessions. I ask the parties to agree how they will share the costs prior to the first session. Most attorneys charge $200 per hour or more. In Family Law matters, attorney’s fees and costs for a single motion can exceed $1,000, depending upon the amount of preparatory work involved. What is most important is that neither party is generally satisfied with a judge’s ruling on a motion.
- Fast - Mediation offers a timelier final resolution of disputes compared to the time it takes an action to get through the legal system. Parties, who are committed to resolving their disputes via mediation can typically expect to finalize their dissolution within a 91-day period. If the parties elect to resolve their disputes via litigation and trial, it is not uncommon for the matter to take a year to finalize.
- Confidential - Mediators cannot be compelled to disclose information related to the mediation, and the parties are required to sign confidentiality agreements before mediation begins. However, if, during the course of the mediation, a party discloses their involvement in criminal activity or admits to the abuse or neglect of a child or vulnerable adult, the mediator is duty bound to report that activity. If mediation is not successful, and subsequent litigation is required, the parties and their attorneys are prevented by statute and the rules of evidence from disclosure of any statements made or actions taken at mediation at trial, and cannot compel the mediator to testify.
- Empowering - The parties to mediation determine their own outcomes and craft solutions/agreements that are workable given their unique needs and circumstances. Judges will generally not take time to consider the unique concerns or circumstances of the parties or their children. Additionally, an effective mediator will ensure that all communications between the parties is respectful and non-blaming; thus, often permitting parties to be heard by each other in a way that may facilitate empathy and increase cooperation.
Healthy - Mediation is emotionally and psychologically healthier than litigation
for the following reasons:
- Parties must listen to each other without interruption or showings of disrespect
- Mediators reflect parties underlying feelings and concerns so that both parties feel heard and understood
- It affords parties a unique opportunity to hear and empathize with each other’s positions, possibly for the first time
- Successful - Mediation has higher settlement rates and better outcomes. Of all disputes entered into mediation, I have successfully resolved 95%. A successful mediation is one that results in the parties resolving their disputes by jointly creating agreements that are reasonable, fair, and easy to comply with the given parties’ unique circumstances. Parties always feel better after resolving their disputes via mediation, thereby avoiding the stress, time, and expense of a lengthy litigation process
How Long Does It Take to Get a Divorce Through Mediation?
Every case is unique in its own way. The average case can take several sessions over the course of a month or two. The time can go by faster or slower, and it all depends on how complex the case is. The more flexible the couple is to talk things out and find a fair agreement and resolution, the smoother things will go.
Enlist the Help of Ellen M. Hendrick PLLC
With extensive experience handling high-conflict, high-asset divorces, no case is too complex for our Spokane family law mediation lawyer. I can guide you through the mediation process, striving to reduce conflict and reach a positive resolution. Trust my firm to walk you through the complicated legal process of divorce and family law matters.
If you’re considering mediation as a means of dissolving your marriage, I am happy to assist you. Call the Spokane divorce mediation lawyer, Ellen M. Hendrick PLLC, at (509) 402-2248.
Why Choose Ellen M. Hendrick PLLC?
Extensive Trial Experience
Extensive trial experience in all potential areas of dispute in family law matters.
Dedicated to Great Results
Known in the community for obtaining the best possible outcome.
Profound knowledge of the law used to create customized solutions to best suit your needs.
Free Initial Consultation
If you are in need of legal advice, get in touch today to schedule a free initial consultation.
“Ellen is a fighter and I feel extremely grateful for her invaluable representation.”- Patrick R.
“She is fair and provides outstanding and rationale advice.”- Former Client
“If you are looking for a hard-working never quit trying the type of lawyer that will give you 100% all the time then go with Ellen ...”- Chris and Vicki